Thu Suong Thi Nguyen is an assistant professor of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at the Indiana University School of Education at Indianapolis. A native of San Antonio Texas and the daughter of Vietnamese refugees, Dr. Nguyen’s scholarly interests include spatial and cultural (re)production, vulnerable populations and practices of place-making in and around school settings, and the treatment of difference. Her current work centers on the intersections of diaspora, placemaking, and school governance. She has published in Educational Policy, Educational Management, Administration & Leadership, International Journal of Leadership in Education, and the International Journal of Urban Education Leadership.
- PhD in Educational Administration, University of Texas at Austin, 2006
- MAT in Secondary Education , Trinity University
- BS in Biology, Trinity University
- Maxcy, B.D. & Nguyen, T.S.T. (2013). The case of Rivera elementary: The politics of collaboration. Journal of Cases in Educational Leadership, 16, 47-61.
- Nguyen, T.S.T. & Lee, P.L. (2013). Asian/America and education: Problematizing problems of knowledge. In L. Tillman & J.J. Scheurich (Eds.), Handbook of research on educational leadership for diversity and equity. Routledge. pp. 200-226
- Nguyen, T.S.T., Scribner, S.P., & Crow, G.M. (2012). Tangled narratives and wicked problems: A complex case of positioning and politics in a diverse school community. Journal of Cases in Educational Leadership, 15(4), 49-64.
- Nguyen, T.S.T. & Crow, G.M. (2012). Classical Management. In B. Irby, G. Brown, R. Lara-Alecio (Eds.), Handbook of educational theories. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing. pp. 883-888.
- Maxcy, B.D., Sungtong, E., & Nguyen, T.S.T. (2010). Challenging school leadership in Thailand’s southern border provinces. Educational Management, Administration and Leadership, 38(2), 164-183.
- Nguyen, T.S.T. & Maxcy, B.D. (2010). Revisiting distributed leadership: Examining the risks of leadership for and from a Vietnamese diasporic community. International Journal of Urban Educational Leadership, 4(1), 187-205.
- Nguyen, T.S.T. (2010). Vietnamese diasporic placemaking: An ethnographic moment in uneven geographic development. Educational Policy, 24(1), 159-188.
- Maxcy, B.D., Sungtong, E., & Nguyen, T.S.T. (2010). Legitimating leadership in southern Thai schools: Considering local responses to neoliberal reforms. Educational Policy, 24(1), 110-136.
- Rah, Y., Choi, S., & Nguyen, T.S.T. (2009). Building bridges between refugee parents and schools. International Journal of Leadership in Education: Theory and Practice, 12(4), 347-365.
- Maxcy, B.D. & Nguyen, T.S.T. (2006). The politics of distributing leadership: Reconsidering leadership distribution in two Texas elementary schools. Educational Policy, 20(1), 163-196.
- Barbara L. Jackson Scholar, National Graduate Student Seminar for future scholars of color hosted by the University Council for Educational Administration, 2005-2006.
- David L. Clark Scholar, National Graduate Student Research Seminar hosted by the University Council for Educational Administration, Spring 2005.
- American Educational Research Association
- University Council for Educational Administration
- Politics of Education Association
- American Anthropological Association
- Nguyen, T.S.T., Maxcy, B.D., Mutraw, A.M.O., Plo, N., & Nar, Y.D. The Burmese Community Center for Education: Community Self-Empowerment Program. Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (Principal Investigator: $600,000 (2013-2016) awarded October 2013).
- King Thorius, K, Maxcy, B.D., & Nguyen, T.S.T. Great Lakes Equity Center at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, USDOE. (Co-Principal Investigator: $2.2 million (2011-2014) awarded August 2011).
- Maxcy, B.D., Nguyen, T.S.T., & Scribner, J.P. University of Missouri Vietnam Fellows Collaborative Inquiry Project. SEAMEO ReTraC, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. (Primary Investigator: Memorandum of Understanding signed November 2009).
- Nitjarunkul, K., Maxcy, B.D., Atisabda, W. Sungtong, E., Placier, P. Grogan, M., Nguyen, T.S.T. (2007). Organizational Challenges for Educators in Southern Thai Primary Schools Responding to Educational Reform and Cultural Unrest. The Prince of Songkla University Research Council, Hat Yai, Thailand. (Co-Primary Investigator: Awarded November 2007).