My research interests are literacy/biliteracy as social and critical practices, critical performance/drama pedagogies, and Latino/a (bilingual) children's literature. Recently I have been working on a research project examining Latino/a children engagement and interpretive literacy practices at the intersection of global/local landscapes and networks. I am co-author with Dr. Karen Wohlwend of the book, Literacy, Play and Globalization: Converging Imaginaries in Children's Critical and Cultural Performances (Routledge Research Series). A co-edited volume with Dr. Mia Perry entitled Methodologies of Embodiment is currently in press (Routledge Research Series) and a book in the making on Puerto Rican children literacy practices.
- Ph. D. The Ohio State University, 2000 - School of Teaching and Learning--Language Literacy and Culture
- M.A. The Ohio State University, 1995 - Educational Studies - Drama/Theatre in Education
- B.A. University of Puerto Rico – Cayey, 1991, Humanities
- Pealva, S., Coggin-Skidmore, L., Medina, C.L. (2014).Examining Transcultural Spiritual Literacies among Latino Children through Artifactual Re-representations.Diaspora, Indigenous, and Minority Education: An International Journal. (Special Issue on Migration, Religion, and Education).
- Medina, C.L., Coggin, L. Weltsek, G. (2014). Foregrounding emergence, embodiment, and critical practices: Performance pedagogies in literacy methods. In J. Brass and A. Webb (Eds.), Teaching the English language arts methods: Contemporary methods and practices (pp.70-82). New York: Routledge.
- Weltsek, G. J. Medina, C.L. (2014). Global Markets/Global Englishes: Drama and Discourses in Colonial Spaces. Youth Theatre Journal, 28(1), 18-31.
- Medina, C. Wohlwend, K. (2014). Literacy, play and globalization: Converging imaginaries in childrens critical and cultural performances. New York: Routledge Research in Education Series.
- Medina, C.L. Weltsek, G. (2013). Deconstructing global marketsthrough critical performative experiences in Puerto Rico. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 57(3) 189-191.
- Medina, C. Costa, M del R. (2013). Latino media andcritical literacy pedagogies: Childrens scripting telenovelas discourses. Journal of Language and Literacy Education 9 (1). http://jolle.coe.uga.ed
- Medina, C. L. (2013). Spiritual occupations: Reflections onpedagogies and everyday stories of globalization. In C.B. Dillard C.L. Okpalaoka (Eds.), Engaging culture, race and spirituality: New visions. New York: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Medina, C. (2013). Spiritual Occupation: Reflections onpedagogies and everyday stories of globalization. In C.B. Dillard C.L. Okpalaoka (Eds.), Engaging culture, race and spirituality: New Visions. New York: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Medina, C. L. Perry, M. (2013). Texts, affects, andrelations in cultural performance: An embodied analysis of dramatic inquiry. In P. Albers, T. Holbrook, and A. Seely Flint (Eds.), New methods in literacy research (pp. 115-132). New York: Routledge.
- Coggin-Skidmore, L. Medina, C. L. (2014). Democratic writing andmultiliteacies in schools and community centers. In R. Meyer K. Whitmore (Eds.), Reclaiming writing: Composing spaces for identities, relationships and action (pp. 240-243). New York: Routledge.
- Wohlwend, K. Medina, C. (2014). Producing cultural imaginariesin the playshop. In R. Meyer K. Whitmore (Eds.), Reclaiming writing: Composing spaces for identities, relationships and action (pp. 198-209). New York: Routledge.
- Costa, M. del R. Medina, C. (2012). Sincronas entre lo acadmico, lo cotidiano y lo creativo. Revista El Sol, 3, pp. 19-21.
- Wohlwend, K. Medina, C. ( 2012). Media as nexus ofpedagogies: Remaking identities in What not to wear. Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education,33(4).
- Medina, C., Costa, M. del R. Soto, N. (2013). Recursos yprcticas culturales: Reframing writing as a social practice with Puerto Rican children. In V. Vasquez J. Wood,Perspectives and provocations in early childhood education (pp. 35-50). Urbana, IL: NCTE.
- Perry, M. Medina, C. (2011). Embodiment and performance in pedagogy research: Investigating the possibility of the body in curriculum experience. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 27(3), 62-75.
- Medina, C. Martnez-Roldn, C. (2011). Culturally relevant literature pedagogies: Latino students reading in the borderlands. In J. Naidoo (Ed.) Celebrating cuentos: Promoting Latino childrens literature and literacy in classrooms and libraries (pp. 259-272).Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO (Libraries Unlimited).
- Medina, C. Martnez-Roldn, C. (2011). Latino literature, bordercrossings and culturally relevant pedagogies. In J. Naidoo (Ed.) Celebrating Cuentos: Promoting Latino Childrens Literature and Literacy in Classrooms and Libraries. ABC-CLIO (Libraries Unlimited).
- Medina, C. (author). (2010, February, 12). Carmen Medina Interview. Voice of Literacy. Podcast retrieved fromhttp://voiceofliteracy.missouri.edu/index.php
- Medina, C. (2010). Reading across communities in biliteracy practices:Examining translocal discourses and cultural flows in literaturediscussions. Reading Research Quarterly, 45(1), 40-60.
- Medina, C. Costa, M del R. (2010). Collaborative voicesexploring culturally and socially responsive pedagogy in teacherpreparation. Language Arts87(4), 263-276.
- Medina, C. Rodrguez, N. (2008). Aproximaciones a la cultura del espectculo: Leyendo, escribiendo y creando textos e imgenes sobre los medios televisivos (Approaches to the spectacle culture: Reading, writing and creating images and texts about television media.) Revista El Sol.
- Medina, C. et al. (2008). Expanding our learning, Changing our teaching. Language Arts, 85(5), 401-404.
- Medina, C. Otero, T. (2009). Leer es ms que el orden de sucesos: Estrategias literarias para la comprensin crtica. DVD. San Juan, P.R.: Micaela Productions.
- Medina, C., Belliveau, G. Weltsek, G. (2007). Reflective practices in drama teacher preparation:An ethnodramatic exploration. Theatre Research in Canada, 28(2), 130-143.
- Medina, C., Weltsek, G. Twomey, S. (2007). Drama, critical literacy and global citizenry: Constructing reflective spaces using drama/theatre. Youth Theatre Journal21, 113-128.
- Medina, C. Pealva, S, Coggin, L. (2012, December). Locating Latino/a literature within larger textual ecologies: Pedagogies of transcultural memories, trajectories and emotions. In, Transcultural Literature and Pedagogies of Place: Research and Practice for 21st Century Students and their Narratives. Symposium conducted at the Literacy Research Association. San Diego, CA.
- Wohlwend, K. Medina, C. (2012, December). Embodied Composing in Cultural Imaginaries. In, New Literacies Revisited: Nuancing Multimodality through Art, Play, Synaesthesia, and Kamishibai. Symposium conducted at the Literacy Research Association. San Diego, CA.
- Medina, C. Costa, M del R. (2012, November). Implicating Ourselves through Literary and Dramatic Encounters Class, Youth Cultural Texts: In, Revisiting the politics of economic power. Symposium conducted at the National Council of Teachers of English. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Medina, C. Wohlwend, K. (2012, April). Identity, Cultural Production and Pedagogy in Media Performances. Roundtable presented Association. Vancouver, CA.
- Medina, C. Brochin-Ceballos, C. (2011, December). Critical fictions of the global: Transnational narratives in Latino/a literature. In, Widening the circle of literature research: Narrative, transnational and critical sociocultural theory in the study of Latino/a childrens and young adult literature. Symposium conducted at the meeting of the Literacy Research Association. Jacksonville, FL.
- Weltsek, G. Medina, C. (2011, December). Global Englishes, performance pedagogies exploring the new lite colonial power with Puerto Rican students. In, Global media, multinational markets and critical literacy pedagogies: Expanding engagement in new political terrains. Symposium conducted at the meeting of the Literacy Research Association. Jacksonville, FL.
- Medina, C. (2011, November). Latino media and critical literacy pedagogies: Ethnographies of globalization in colonial contexts. In, Multiple perspectives on globalization, literacy, and pedagogy. Symposium conducted at the National Council of Teachers of English. Invited session for the Standing Committee on Research. Chicago, IL.
- Medina, C. (2011, November). Implicating ourselves through critical literary and performative pedagogies. Presentation conducted at the Center for Expansion of Language and Thinking Get Together. National Council of Teachers of English. Chicago, IL.
- Medina, C. (2011, March). Bridging gaps between academia and the community in Latino/a childrens literacy. Keynote session conducted at the Purdue University-Hanna Community Center Partnership. Lafayette, IN.
- Medina, C. Mapping multiple literacies in literary engagement Panel: Mapping Multiple Literacies Across Transnational Spaces. Co-panelists: Robert Jimenez, Maria Franquiz, Patrick Smith, Carol Brochin-Ceballos Smith, Luz A. Murillo. National Reading Conference, Fort Worth, TX.
- Medina, C. Translocal and colonial landscapes: Scripting in critical literacy engagements. Panel: Emerging Principles of Research, Teaching, and Learning for Translocal Literacies and Transcultural Citizenship. Co-panelists: Patricia Enciso and Juan Guerra. National Reading Conference, Fort Worth, TX.
- Medina, C., Costa, M. del R., Torres, V. Soto, N. (2010)Collaborative voices exploring culturally and socially responsive literacies with Puerto Rican Children. National Council of Teachers of English, Orlando, FL.
- Medina, C. Interpretative Discourses in Television Media as Cultural Texts: Storying in Glocalized Spaces. Panel: Storying Across Communities: Locating Diverse Repertoires of Narrative and Interpretation. American Educational Research Association, Boulder, CO.
- Medina, C., Twomey, S. Perry, M. Embodied praxisin teacher education" : Exploring Challenges and Possibilities Within Critical Performative Pedagogies. Panel: Boalian Theatre Across Contexts: Critical Performative Approaches to Teaching and Teacher Education. American Educational Research Association, Boulder, CO.
- Research Award: 2013 American Alliance for Theatre and Education, Winner,Co-researcher: Gustave J. Weltsek
Add or update your profile (requires an Indiana University Network Id and password)